Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Speaking of Canada...

From: am672@freenet.carleton.ca (David J. Zimmerly)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 07:27:51 GMT
Subject: Speaking of Canada...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@freenet.carleton.ca (Usenet News Admin)

I guess I should have started with the big news the other day before I got
cut off, but I noticed this silly little Paul Shaffer thing first...

Guess what, everybody - those Lost Betacam Tapes have arrived!  They
landed on my doorstep on Monday after completing a nearly four-month
journey all the way from Chicago to Ottawa!  I imagined champagne corks
popping all over Canada Post for setting a new record for postal efficiency.

The box was clearly opened by at least a couple of clueless drones at
Canada Customs, who shredded the packaging material enough to leave lots
of dust, fibres and crap all over (and even INSIDE) the tapes. I cleaned
everything as best as I could and finally risked trying one at work.  I
should not have worried so much, for the quality was fine.

One thing worth noting was that the box was re-sealed with tons of - what
else - GAFFA(er) TAPE!

I read Peter Manchester's SON/DAUGHTER OF TAPETREE post soon after this
and of course was struck by the typically Kate-like syncronicity of
events. I know Peter's "offer" of a second-chance Tapetree printing has
been limited to the U.S. for now, but since I finally have these
wonderful, expensive tapes (thanks again, Chris), I would hate to see them
collect even more dust.  I therefore (foolishly?) offer to stoke up my little
combine again for a limited time for my Canadian friends who have not
already partaken of the fruit of the Tree.  Same rules apply as before:
e-mail me and I'll send you detailed ordering info. I'd extend the offer
to non-Canadians, but I think the potential hassles just aren't worth it,
especially for a relatively small "mopping-up" operation.

I wonder if those Customs guys ever got a chance to look at the tapes or
if they gave up trying to find a Betacam deck to play them. I wonder if
they DID see them and experience a life-changing revelation?
Oh, who cares?  - I'm just glad they gave them back.

"It's Alive!" (something I just heard on A&E).

Later,

David

--

There's definitely, definitely, definitely no logic to human behaviour...

                                                           - Bjork