Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Second, very brief writing: \XU

From: Keith DeWeese x422 <kpd000@dns.colum.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 15:25:37 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Second, very brief writing: \XU
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

First, I would like to recommend Jack Zipes's fairy tale critiques to the
Love Hounds; in particular, FAIRY TALES AND THE ART OF SUBVERSION : THE
CLASSICAL GENRE FOR CHILDREN AND THE PROCESS OF CIVILIZATION, New York:
Methuen, Inc., 1988 has some very interesting ideas regarding the
transfiguration and fusion of "classical" fairy tale elements such as one
finds in Kate's \ X U.

I would also like to recommend one of my favorite films, THE
NIGHT OF THE EAGLE (196?), a.k.a. BURN WITCH BURN, against which one might read \ X
U.  The plot of the film is derived from Fritz Leiber's CONJURE WIFE
(193?) and deals with a woman's attempts to utilize Caribbean, occult
knowledge to protect her husband, an anthropology professor, and herself
from the [Indo-European?] occult practices of his self-aggrandizing and
malicious colleagues.

Again, thanks for reading.  Have to dash!

Keith