Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

First writing--\ X U

From: Keith DeWeese x422 <kpd000@dns.colum.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 14:35:29 -0600 (CST)
Subject: First writing--\ X U
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

"It's really happening to me.  It's really happening to me!"

--Eleanor, THE HAUNTING (R. Wise, 196?)

                            APOLOGY

I apologize for any purple lapses I might make as I write out my
impressions of \ X U.  Frankly, this is the first time I have ever really
put forth my thoughts regarding Kate's work.  Questions such as "Why do
you like her music?  What's your favorite album?" etc. usually frustrate
me because I truly am thwarted, when trying to put into words, by what the
Kate Bush phenomenon means to me.  Suffice it to say she helped me
understand Stendahl when I was in her physical presence, and she never
disappoints me.

After watching \ X U so many times that my tiny thumb has practically
fused itself to my remote control console (this makes keystroking rather
tricky), I have come to the conclusion that I have been waiting for the
film for a very long time.  I do not mean since I first heard that Kate
was making a film.  No, I have been waiting since I first heard Kate
speak of her appreciation of the film medium, of the inspiration with
which her favorite films have provided her.  Of course, she speaks of
film viewing always, even when she speaks of music making and listening.
The moving image coupled with sound has fascinated her since she was
"little Katey Bush" and first confronted by Cathy, the ghost orphan of
the moors.

Yet, as deeply grateful as I am that Cathy found middle-c in the barn, I
cannot but help wonder what turns the whole story would have taken had
she found a Bolex camera laying in the straw, too.  I imagine...

My favorite Cathy film, CAMILLA [sic]/COMING UP...a child's vision so
much more delicate than [Sangster's?] crass vampire lovers or Vadim's
ponderous death pleasures...maybe more at Dreyer's vampire
twilight...and, as usual, on to the LeFanu source just to make sure she
got her research right...

I am certain, too, that I was waiting for Kate's film since first viewing
Argento's SUSPIRIA and INFERNO, Jordan's COMPANY OF WOLVES, and
Paradjanov's THE COLOR OF POMEGRANATES, all films that come to mind when
I watch \ X U.

And, thankfully, when I watch her film, I do not really think of NIGHT OF
THE DEMON or THE RED SHOES.  That she should be inspired by the films
only witnesses the brilliance of her imagination.  She draws the films
together then practically chucks them in favor of their antecedants.  I
am stunned.  Upon first viewing the film, I was taken in by the color,
the dancing, the music--as usual, but thought, "Hmm, now that plot is
something else. What? I'm not sure."

Later, after a dozen more viewings, I realized that on my first viewing I had failed to cast out the
film I had made in my mind in order to make room for Kate's.  I did the
same thing back in 1983 when I first viewed the Hammersmith-Odeon show.  I
also realized that, as savvy as I like to think I am with regard to certain areas of
knowledge, I was hit hard by what I can only term Kate's embarassment of
riches.  So many ideas, so many viewpoints, so many colors--it takes my
breath away.  Indeed, that is what I was waiting for, it's what I wanted.

I am glad \ X U is not the the sum of the old chestnuts.  NIGHT OF THE
DEMON has its specific time, its specific place, as does THE RED
SHOES.  I cannot really determine where I am at or what time it is when I
watch Bush's work, and that is what makes it, for me, marvelous.

First, damn the lights, put them out and out again!  Mourn the past.  Call
down the Symbolist's black bird, and, in a love-death, let it rest in
state on red velvet.

Second, conjure up a femme-fatale from a child's holiday pantomime.
I do not know if it was first written by Andersen, Wilde, or
Hoffmann--perhaps all three and Ovid, too, perched on Kate's shoulder,
whispering the story in her ear. And, as a critical success, the story might
be read another way: gynoerotikon.  Dear Angela Carter is happily weeping in
her grave.

Next, call down Annie [Beasant?] and just try tangling with her over issues
of political correctness inherent in the casting of mere men as genderless
psychopomps.

Truly, I do not even know where to begin with regard to the Jacobean
devils and the Bosch Lucifer under winged-foot.

One might be quick to write off \ X U as a simple variation on Carroll's
THROUGH THE LOOKING-GLASS and Baum's THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ, but
think more of the court fantasies of 18th century France...think of Beauty
trapped in the Beast's chateau, looking into her enchanted mirror which
enables her to view performances at the opera or ballet, then wishing she
was there...but unlike Beauty who must be satisfied with the vicarious
thrill, the unnamed, red-shoed dancer is forced through the glass and
given a part in some old world vaudeville cum morality play.

Jolly, red devil-ettes of the dance-hall Hell mock the prostrate,
writhing, and black Lucifer undone by both purifying water and the dancer
suddenly translated like Mary in the Dormition.  Ave means wings, too.

	If you've read this far, thank you.  Have to go.

Keith