Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gershein (was: A couple of questions...

From: allen_watson@quickmail.apple.com (Allen Watson III)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 22:09:57 GMT
Subject: Gershein (was: A couple of questions...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@gallant.apple.com

In article <9410181140276184375@aol.com>, JAbusheery@aol.com wrote:

> I finally got 'The Glory of Gershwin' last week.  My first impressions are
> overall it's a great album, a little depressing at times, but did the
> Gershwins write really up tunes to begin with?

Most emphatically yes, the great majority of the Gershwin tunes were
definitely upbeat.  You must realize that the interpretations on tribute
albums are in no way canonical versions of the original works, and one
could argue that that is as it should be.

For sprightly versions of Gershwin songs, check out the arrangements
Hershey Kay did for the Balanchine ballet _Who Cares?_   Kay treats most of
the songs as dance pieces (natcherly), and the result is quite catchy.  Of
course, if you want to hear Gershwin music as it originally sounded, many
recordings from the '30s and '40s have been reissued on CD.  Try any of
Oscar Levant's recordings, for example.

As for TGOG, I was not blown away by Kate's rendition of "The Man I Love."
It sounded as if she was trying to make it sound torchier than it is.  On
the plus side, I was pleasantly surprised by the fine work Peter Gabriel
did on "Summertime," and I thought Sinead O'Connor did a splendid job with
"My Man's Gone Now."   Cher was Cher, not really in the Gershwin style, but
she was at least competent.  As for the other tracks on the album, well . .
.

- Allen
+  Mapes: "You know the ancient tongues?"  +
+  Jessica: "I know many things..."        +