Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

2nd try on posting response to "L&A" video storyline...

From: CHRIS SMITH/Indiana U SOM/ONE WORLD <SMITHCJ@ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 94 21:29:11 EST
Subject: 2nd try on posting response to "L&A" video storyline...
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

From:	PRISM::SMITHCJ      "CHRIS SMITH/Indiana U SOM/ONE WORLD" 21-OCT-1994 12:01:30.22
To:	PO1::"Love-Hounds-Request@uunet.uu.net" SMITHCJ
CC:
Subj:	"Love and Anger" video storyline

Hello all:
	I've been lurking on the list, and posting very occasionally, for
a couple of years now. My first introduction to Kate's music was actually
my stumbling across the "L&A" video while channel-surfing on MTV one night
during the incredibly brief period it was in rotation. I was blown away
by the video, the tune, and the sheer density of the symbolic language. Became
a Kate fan the same night.
	I actually wound up writing a semiotic/analysis paper for a musicology
seminar on the "L&A" video, in which I tried to identify and articulate all
the different symbolic vocabularies which were being referenced, and then
tried to get at the "program" or storyline they were used in service of.
	I've submitted the paper (three years later) to a performance studies
conference in NYC in March '95. I'd welcome feedback from those on the list
who are far greater authorities than I; and/or if anyone is interested in
one person's response to and analysis of what "L&A" _might_ be "about," I'd
be happy to email copies of the text, at such time as it's in more finalized
form.
	Thanks to all for providing a positive and informative forum; I continueto learn things and get new insights from following discussions.

	In solidarity :-),

	Chris Smith