Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Be Stiff

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 94 12:47:57 PDT
Subject: Be Stiff
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

llovich@aol.com (Llovich) sez:

>In article <2EAC1EB0@msmail.trl.oz.au>, "Forward, Jonathan"
><JForward@SITGBSD1.TELECOM.com.au> writes:
>>I have a copy of Devo doing a live version of a song called Be Stiff.
>>Anyone know if it's the same one?

>Yes, indeed it is. In fact, the Lovich version was pat of a group of
>versions done for a Stiff Records U.S. tour way back when and released on
>a promotional 12". There's also versions by Jona Lewie, Rachel Sweet,
>Mickey Jupp and the whole group of them together.

>And if you're into completist history, Toni Basil (the instant has-been of
>"Oh Mickey -- you're so fine, you blow my mind" fame) also did a version
>on her "Word of Mouth" lp/video.

Actually, if you're REALLY a completist, Devo does SEVERAL versions of this
song; the Stiff records singles version, the live version on their live E.P.,
and a version on their "Hardcore Devo vol. II".  This version is recommended
by yours truly, if only 'cause they print the utterly undecipherable lyrics
here.

ObKate:  She lists "Devo Live" as one of her all-time favorite albums (source:
"Kate Bush:  A Visual Documentry").

- Stev0 the Dev0tee

"If it ain't Stiff, it ain't worth a fuck!"
   - One of many Stiff Records mottos