Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate on Shortwave

From: pi@ruth.jhu.edu (Pablo A. Iglesias)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 06:59:21 -0400
Subject: Re: Kate on Shortwave
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: ruth!pi@uunet.uu.net (Pablo A. Iglesias)

|> Hi--one of my hobbies is shortwave radio & the other day I heard
|> a song off of TRS on Radio France Intl (antenna site: French Guiana
|> for those other shortwave DXers out there).  It was the 1st time
|> I heard her on shortwave--it's cool to think off her music out
|> there bouncing off of the ionosphere. : )
|> Jill

One of my favourite KaTe memories is from back in 1989 when TSW came out.
Thursday night, as usual, I was listening to Classical Record Review on the BBC
World Service. That program has a different guest each week that looks at their
favourite release of the week. Sure enough, the woman they brought out that
week had TSW as her pick of the week. The show's host nearly had a bird. He kept
saying how this would not be the sort of record his audience would be use to. This
woman said something to the effect of "Well, they should, because if they opened
their ears they would see that this is some of the best music being written anywhere
these days"

Made my day! :-)  I wish I remembered who the guest was, though.

--
Pablo Iglesias
Department of Electrical Engineering