Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: kate rate

From: smith david <p0070421@brookes.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 19:50:26 +0000
Subject: Re: kate rate
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Well here's my 73pence worth on my favourite KaTe album. To be honest I've
only been into Kate since HOL. I knew she existed before HOL of course as
most of her singles got major chart placings and of course I remember seeing
her on TOTP doing Wuthering Heights. I must admit though I was a bit too
young the appreciate her then (I was too busy listening to The Police and
E.L.O, I know it's disgraceful.)

1. The Dreaming/Never For Ever

If you asked me about six months ago I would have put NFE at the top.
However I've listened to TD quite a lot of the past few months and I've
grown to like it a hell of a lot (especially 'Pull Out The Pin', 'Suspended In
Gaffa' and 'Houdini'). It .

I've always been fond of NFE. I've always found it to be the most 'KaTe'
sounding of her albums, her most feminine as well. I'm especially fond of
'The Infant Kiss' and 'Delius'.

2. Hounds Of Love

The first album I bought of hers, an excellent album. The Ninth Wave is truly
amazing. Some of my favourite tracks are 'Cloudbusting', 'Hounds Of Love',
'Waking The Witch', and 'Hello Earth'.

3. The Kick Inside

This has got to be one of the best debut albums ever made. One thing I do
like about Kate and her music is that every album is different, I find
this an incredibly relaxing album to listen to, especially when I'm in
a bad mood and need to calm down!

4. The Sensual World

IMHO her second most feminine album (yes I know they are all feminine but..).
The Trio Bulgarka (sic.) add some tragedy to it as well. I must admit
'Heads Are Dancing' is one of her worst outings but this is totally
eclipsed by the beatifull 'This Woman's Work'

5. The Red Shoes

I must be honest and say I don't actually listen to this album much, it's
got outstanding tracks (The Red Shoes, Lilly and MOP spring to mind) but
there is something missing (and I don't know what!).

6. Lionheart

Yep this is bottom of the list but it's still towers above most of the crap
being produced out there in album world. I've never managed quite managed to
get into this album. (Didn't Kate say once that she wasn't happy with the
album because the gap was so short between it and TKI?) The only track I
would really die for is Hammer Horror, such a brilliant song.

So there you go. I can't really think of my top 5 non-album/album tracks off
the top of my head. The song what has really grabbed me (and I only heard it
for the first time about two moths ago) is 'Under The Ivy'. It only lasts
a few nminutes but it's gorgeous. Why was it never an album track (or for
that matter a single?)

Dave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~OXFORD BROOKES UNIVERSITY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kathy, I'm lost," I said, though | David RT Smith
she was sleeping. I'm empty and   | Oxford Brookes University
aching and I don't know why.      | Computer Services             0
                                  | Gypsy Lane                   - -
                                  | Headington                    |<
Ashes to ashes, funk to funky     | Oxford, OX3 7BP
We know Major Tom's a junky       |
Strung out in heavens high        | p0070421@brookes.ac.uk
Hitting an all time low.          | drtsmith@brookes.ac.uk
 ~+-~+-~+-~+-~+-~+-All we ever wanted was a great big hug.~+-~+-~+-~+-~+-~+-