Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ask the Postman, Ask the Mailman...

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 94 12:37:06 PDT
Subject: Ask the Postman, Ask the Mailman...
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford) nit-picks:

>Mary Helen Sowell (mhs3c@darwin.clas.virginia.edu) wrote:

>: The cost is $11.00 each, plus $4.00 for postage for 1-2 shirts
>: within the United States.

>OK, 2 shirts, priority mail ($2.90) plus mailer ($0.75) round to nearest
>dollar - $4.00 - fine.

>: For postage from other points on the globe:
>: Place        one shirt's postage       two shirts' postage

>: Canada           $4.85			same
>: Australia        $10.70			$16.70
>: New Zealand, Finland  $10.70            $16.70
>: Sweden           $10.70			$16.70
>: Great Britain, Germany, Netherlands:  $9.25  $14.25

>: This includes the cost of the envelope, tax, etc.

>Ouch!  How are you sending these shirts - letter rate?  Are you using
>the US Postal Service?  Postal rates to all points outside North America are
>the same, whether it be the UK, Slovenia, Botswana or Vanuatu.  In my
>experience you should be able to mail a t-shirt in a small jiffy bag for
>under $5 including the cost of the bag and that's air mail, small packet
>rate.  Two shirts would go for probably less than $7 including the mailer.
>How do you get $10.70 and $16.70?

She got those rates from me (who got 'em from the USPS).  It's air freight
prices.  Yeah, you can pay ground freight for the above-mentioned $4.85
for anywhere in the world, but it takes generally 2 - 3 months to get there
as opposed to a week.

Of course, this is taking into account an envelope that's NOT made out of
tissue paper. (street price for decent envelope: $0.90 a pop + tax).

I mailed the shirts.  I saw the price.  I can verify it.

- Stev0 the experienced

"Y'know, Bob, I'm feeling kinda disgruntled today." - The last thing you
want to hear from a postal employee