Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Aboriginal words in KB song?

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 11:06:17 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Aboriginal words in KB song?
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

On Thu, 25 Aug 1994, Jon Mountjoy wrote:

> Hello fellow fans,
>
> I was reading this newsgroup about a year and a half ago and there
> was some mention of a Kate Bush song with aboriginal words in it.
>
> Does anybody remember this or is my memory playing tricks on me.
> For some reason which is beyond me, I also recall the words being associated
> with airplanes and sky.

The song you are thinking of is probably _The Dreaming_. I can't remember
which aboriginal words are in it, but one of them is "woomera" which is
the aboriginal word for the notched stick they use as a spear thrower. It
is also, I believe, the name of a missile base -- Woomera Missile Base --
and if memory serves, a small town somwhere in the middle of nowhere. The
only one of the above definitions I am positive of is the spear-thrower
one. Aussies can gladly correct me about the others! :-)

scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us == Stuart Castergine            ---
"The night comes every day to my window.                    |/
The serious night, promising as always,                     |\
age and moderation. And I am frightened" -- Jack Gilbert