Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hammersmith CD

From: uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 1994 00:51:00 +0200
Subject: Hammersmith CD
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

Just bought my 500th CD, it had to be a special one. Which one? Well, I was
lucky to find the new CD+Video package in Germany. So my 500th CD is
a Kate CD and it's the official Live At Hammersmith Odeon CD. Great stuff
of course, but you knew that. Now:

    All of you who do own one of the bootlegs from that show - CD or LP - you
    do know that if you claim that bootlegs don't harm artists & companies
    you must buy this set? (at least if you dwell in Europe)

(I just hope this doesn't grow into one of those bootleg flamewars on rdt.)

Remember that this set is quite cheap: you can chose if you get a nice-price
CD plus nice-price video or if you get a normal CD plus very-nice-price video
or a normal video plus very-nice-price CD. Actually if you were in Frankfurt
today you would've been able to a) buy the previous Hammersmith tape for
DM 40 at WOM, or b) to buy the new tape+CD for DM 40 at Virgin. So the CD
is even for free... ;-). If you calculate the cost for a bootleg CD (~DM 30)
you get the tape for DM 10 which is VERY cheap.

Some technicalities:

Now what previously was (with a bit of good will) called 'bootleg' most
definitively is a 'pirate' with the difference being that pirates are
illegal records containing officially published material while bootlegs
hold stuff that's unavailable officially. The sound track wasn't available
on CD/LP/MC/MD/DCC previously, so one might call it bootleg anyway. (Most
people do not distinguish between pirates and bootlegs. There's a third kind
of illegal recordings: counterfeits. These do even copy the design and
cover etc. from the original. See some Y Kan't Tori Read 'rereleases'
for example.

Bye,

Uli

--
"Probably the 2GB file limit will be gone by January 2038, when Unix runs out
of seconds, another consequence of using 32-bit integers." - Carl Lowenstein