Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kweer Kate Fans

From: Bruce Gordon <bruceg@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 1994 14:28:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Kweer Kate Fans
To: dillardb@student.msu.edu, Andrew Simchik <simchik@cs.rochester.edu>
Cc: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: Bruce Gordon <bruceg@u.washington.edu>

Hi y'all,

	Well, I was very suprised to see that someone had such misgivings
about the sexual demographics (and sexualities) of Kate fans.  I know
many gay men who've ne'er heard of Kate and a few that think she's too
screechy (whatever that means).  Many opera queens I know have a fondness
for her as well.  When I was first introduced to Kate and her music it
was from a straight male.  And the next person was female (lesbian) and I
thought that all women who enjoyed what was then "women's music" (this
was the early '80's, women's music was Nina Hagen, Joan Jett, Joan
Armatrading, Lena Lovich, Patti Smith, Ferron, Chris Williamson, Kate
Bush and not many others); ergo, I naturally concluded that all women
were Kate fans and men were in the minority.

	Now that the 90's are here, and a man is not supposed to be
afraid of his feelings(!), can we all just come out and say, "I like Kate
Bush and I'm _________" -fill in the blank.

bruce, Lord of the Reedy River,
purveyor of astrology, etymology and legerdemain.

ps:  if it weren't for gay men (and one in particular who shopped my
store at the time [nudge, nudge,wink, wink, y'know what I mean?]), I
never would have gotten the last two discs of This Woman's Work. :)