Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Oh no!! What will I do??

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 94 22:23:46 EDT
Subject: Re: Oh no!! What will I do??
To: simchik@cs.rochester.edu (Drew Simchik)
Cc: kate.;@pilot.njin.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

Drew Cifers:

> WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net> wrote:
> >    Jane Siberry is Jesus
>
> Could you then evangelize for me, Vickie?  I have _When_I_Was_A_Boy_
> and nothing else.  Tell me more about this strange person.

Jane is...well, Jane is..., um...Jane is Jane.  Strange? Yeah, but
she's also intelligent, interesting, innovative and not like anyone
else in the Universe.  Jane is subversive too, which is why her music
must be listened to over and over again...you have to let it seep
into your psyche until one day, you'll (maybe) come to realize that
the things you thought were quite strange are not so strange after
all, and the things you thought were boringly normal are really quite
strange.  Jane messes with your head that way :-).

All her albums are different, so I couldn't suggest another one to
try without knowing which "style" you like best.  If you like the
long, unusual songs such as "The Vigil" then run, do not walk, to
your nearest store and buy _The Walking_, post haste.  That album
(my favorite) will keep you busy and scratching your head for the
next few decades, at least.  If you like the (cough cough) "simpler"
songs such as "Calling All Angels" then I'd recommend the album
_The Speckless Sky_.  There are *no* other albums with songs like
"Temple" but if you're interested in hearing what she does with
different styles of music (everything from country-ish to salsa)
then go for _Bound By The Beauty_.  I love *all* her albums, so
it is quite hard to choose one over the other.

_When I Was A Boy_ and _The Walking_ are her two most complex and
challenging albums.  _Jane Siberry_ (her first) and _No Borders
Here_ are her least challenging, though no way does that mean that
they're not quirky and wonderful too.  Those two albums also contain
her most amusing songs, such as "Marco Polo" (about the adventurer's
shallow girlfriend) and "Extra Executives" (about someone who answers
questions based on how they think the answer will get them something,
rather than from their heart).  All her albums contain touches of
humour (WIWAB the least) and very serious songs (WIWAB the most) and
songs that have the capacity to make you laugh and cry and think and
puzzle over (sometimes one song will do all those things) and you'll
never ever ever be able to figure Jane out 100%, so don't even try.

How am I doing? :)

Strange good? Strange bad?  You didn't give me much to work with Drew.

It took me over a year to "get" Jane and become a huge fan, so I never
question the fact that others can't figure out what the deal is too.

> >Sarah McLachlan is Wise Woman 1
>
> Tch.  *Much* too far down the list.

Well hey, I'm a loyal lady. I found Kate in 1981, Jane in 1984, Happy
in 1988.  That's why they get the top 3 spots.  Happy's not going to
move up into Jane's spot or kick Kate out of first place. Sarah's not
going to push anyone out of the way either.  Jane's not going to drop
down.  They'll stay where they are just based on the albums the albums
they've already released.  It's the old thing of favorites coming in the
order you found them, and it very often holds true for most people.  I
don't really give a flying floppy if a Sarah fan thinks I'm nuts because
she's not in the top 3.  They're *my* ordering, and no one elses.  Apart
from the Top 3, where else *could* I have put Sarah?  The Mary's fit their
characters, and Sarah sure ain't Joseph :-). (Guess that would be Peter
Gabriel).  So anyway...re-word that to "too far down the list for me",
and we'll cheerfully avoid a "so & so's better than such & such" flame
war, ok?  *HUG*

> >Milla Jovovich is Wise Woman 3 (on probation until her 2nd album)
>
> What?  You gave this upstart (cute and very interesting upstart, but
> upstart nonetheless) billing over Sophie B.?  For shame!

Happily ashamed am I then.  I'm nuts about Milla's music, what can I say?

> (Mind you, Sophie's probably in a lower camp...;))

Well, if I ever get around to getting her albums, then maybe she'll be
an apostle!  (Which is what Sinead already is to me, Angelos.)

I just like to have fun with this.  If I were more familiar with the
Bible I could probably place lots of other women in other characters.
(I'm still thinking about who might be Judas.  Maybe Milla will be
if her 2nd album is terrible, but I have faith in her.  We'll see)

Vickie (androgynous pre-1981) :-)