Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

LC shows KaTe's evolution as video artist/Dr. Hook remixes?

From: endwar@phys.psu.edu (Andrew Russ)
Date: 5 Aug 1994 17:31:23 -0400
Subject: LC shows KaTe's evolution as video artist/Dr. Hook remixes?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I've watched the Lovehounds Collection all the way through a few times.
GreaT worK people!  Titles even -- now where else would you get that
kind of service?

Watching "Kate" and the other tv lip-sync/mime/movement performances
made it obvious (to me at least) that KaTe regards her tv appearances as
serious events, so she organizes costumes, stage props, and choreography.

I think "Kate" really marks the transition from KaTe as a live theater
performer ("Live at the Hammersmith" is (imho) merely documentation of
something conceived for the stage -- my reaction after first watching it
was that it must have been much more incredible to actually be there)
into
KaTe as a video artist.  Some of the Tour of Life routines were included
with some modification, but the songs where the video was used in a
way that couldn't have been done live show the real change.  For instance
the tiny KaTe moving on the piano during "The Man With the Child In His
Eyes".  The tiny KaTe is much more effeKTtive (to me) than the full size
KaTe sitting on Paul Schaeffer's piano on Saturday Night Live.  Her movement
on SNL was excellent also, but the reduction in scale added something to
the video presentation on "Kate".
	Even more dramatic was the video-within-a-video for "Another Day".
Video also allowed KaTe to switch scenes if not costumes instantly on
"The Wedding List".  And the video images were used as a backdrop on
"Egypt".  Notice how the twin Tuaregs at the end move closer in the
blink of a frame (thanks to the magic of video editing), and even become
larger than life.

	Then one of the next projects was the video for the Dr. Hook
show.  It would have been a lot harder to do the two-sided woman effect
live, where people sit at different angles; the effect works because
the camera views one angle at a time (until the screen splits -- another
video effect).

	The next step was to shoot videos in sets ("Delius" already took
that step), and the progression would lead to the silent-movie-with-a-hit
-song soundtrack "Cloudbusting" (some of the expressions remind me of the
acting in silent movies, and i think that's intentional and i think it
works well).

	Another thing i noticed in the Dr. Hook show was that the music
sounded remixed.
	In "Babooshka" there was an obvious difference:  the music ended
_without_ any of the crashing glass sound effects that appear on the
album or either of the single edits (see my other post regarding the
Single File for details on that).
	In "Delius" the vocals sounded like they had a lot more echo than
on the record(s).  It might just be my own subjective impression, though.
(I did notice a similar vocal mixing difference on the Tori Amos videos
for her songs "China" and "Crucify", as represented on her videotape,
incidentally).  I like the effect in "Delius".
	So does anyone else notice these details on the Dr. Hook
appearance?

andrew