Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: c

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 18:57:00 GMT
Subject: Re: c
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <9406231048.AA24038@mhost.ida.his.se> i23mikja@ida.his.se
(Mikael Jakonen) writes:

>   I remember Deep Thought said that the answer was 42, but the question
>   was the key to the answer, and the question was NOT " What is the meaning
>   of life, the universe and everything." but something else.
>   But where did you get 63 from, I don't recall reading it.

The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42.  For a long
time no one knew what the question was, though.  Deep Thought computed
the answer, but he had to build a new computer (The Earth) to
determine what the question (of life, the universe, and everything)
is.  Unfortunately, the Vogans destroyed The Earth a few minutes
before the result was due, in order to make room for a hyperspace
bypass.

At some time later, however, the characters hypothesize that the
question must be buried in Arthur Dent's mind, ready to plop out with
a little prodding.  With the help of some Scrabble pieces, they
determine that the question is "What is six times nine?"

I think that this is a bit off-topic, however.