Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: You Want Alchemy

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 94 16:00 CDT
Subject: Re: You Want Alchemy
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <2tfje5$6o3@marlin.ssnet.com> you write:
>In article <9406110841.0.PCuucp#3@briarpatch.ness.com>,
>Billy Green <billy@briarpatch.ness.com> wrote:
>
>>Deeper Understanding -- This song is about isolation and loneliness that
>>       leads to a deep (and unhealthy) attachment to something as a
>>       substitute for human companionship.  Our beekeeper friend who
>>       says, "I don't meet many people/I'm very busy with my hives,"
>>       seems to have reached a Deeper Understanding of the bees instead of
>>       a computer (except that his Understanding doesn't seem to be
>>       unhealthy for him, and no one carts him off to the loony bin).
>
>Hmm... Idle speculation: Has KaTe seen "Wax or the Development of

   We have no way of knowing. Has it played in London?

   A friend of mine, when he read the lyrics, mentioned how much YWA
resembled some of Sylvia Plath's poems. Plath's father was an expert on
beekeeping and she had written several pieces about bees. (Note: this
is what I remember from the conversation. I know next to nothing about
Plath.)

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)