Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Convention footnotes

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 May 1994 02:09:53 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Convention footnotes
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

	Rather late now, so just some quick comments.  (I am a digest reader,
so I haven't seen today's gaffa traffic.)

	Correction:  in my post outlining the day's events, I had Kate
appearing at 8:38pm, but that is wrong--that's when TLTC&TC *ended*.  She
appeared about an hour earlier, 7:38 let's say.

	Fiona asked what a `CDR' is; a `CD recordable'--i.e. a CD made directly
from tape.  I am not particularly on top of this technology, but apparently
there are machines that can record directly onto the CD format.

	Evan makes a point that I would underline:  love-hounds/gaffa is a
genuinely *international* newsgroup, and needs to be perceived as such in
certain High Places.

	woj added valuable details on several topics in my Convention summary,
for which many thanks.

	Chris Williams reminded me of the single most glaring omission in that
summary:  on entrance at the Hippodrome that noon, we were given a number of
posters and other artifacts that are best transported rolled up into a tube,
but there were no rubberbands.  I mentioned this to Chris, and with characteric
vigor he went off, and shortly returned with a bagful of rubberbands!  He was
our official Rubberband Boy for the afternoon.

	It was my pleasure this afternoon to have Andy Marvick out from
Manhattan as a visitor in these suburban gardens, and to patch him in to his
account to read the last few days' lh-digests.  It is sort of disorienting to
realize that IED is not among us most of the time.  His views on Kate's current
work are not surprising--I'm thinking of the film in particular.  I am not as
confident as IED is about its virtues.  I too thought the MoP passage, with
Kate spinning in space, was unimaginative and boring.  Thing is, we have to
cherish what we have.  I think that Kate is about to make herself very, very
scarce, and maybe for a long, long time.

	But--as always--we shall see!

                                                               Peter Manchester
      "It's gonna be apple pie!"                  pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                       72020,366@compuserve.com