Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate & LoveHounds in the news

From: David C Mudie <mudie@cesium.eecs.berkeley.EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 14:50:45 -0700
Subject: Kate & LoveHounds in the news
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Excerpted from the San Francisco Chronicle, Thursday May 12 1994:

  ONLINE by Robert Rossney: "It's on the Net - If You Can Find It"

  [Rossney reviews two Internet guides, Peter Rutten's "Netguide" and
  Harley Hahn's "The Internet Yellow Pages"]

    The trick will be finding [an entry] in Netguide, which has
  a strange multi-level subject hierarchy that makes finding
  things a challenge.
    Suppose you're interested in Kate Bush.  She's a musician, but you
  won't find her under "Music" - no such heading exists.  For that,
  you need to look in the "Arts and Entertainment" section.  "Music"
  is under that.  But Kate Bush isn't.  If you keep at it long enough,
  you'll find her under "Rock & Pop", which the Netguide people apparently
  do not think is music.  And she's under K, not B.
    On the other hand, you won't find Kate Bush in the Internet Yellow Pages
  at all.  Go figure.  Even so, this is the book I pick up first when I
  want to know what's out there.
    OK: If you want Kate Bush information, try the USENET newsgroup
  'rec.music.gaffa'.  Or you can sign up for the Love-Hounds mailing list;
  send e-mail to 'love-hounds-request@eddie.mit.edu' and ask to be
  added to the list.

--------

"Rock & Pop", humph.  Kate should have her own section!

I don't know if this will mean any rise in album sales, but there's
no such thing as bad publicity...

David