Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TRS not a success? Sez who?

From: ariefbud@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Arief Budiwidayanto)
Date: 7 May 1994 00:50:01 GMT
Subject: Re: TRS not a success? Sez who?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <Pine.3.87.9405061149.A2453-0100000@crl.crl.com>, "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com> says:

>I'm getting a little tired of this . . . especially when I saw in
>Billboard or some other music magazine this past month that TRS was one
>of the albums officially certified as having gone platinum in March. (or
>was it February?)
>
>Karen Newcombe kln@crl.com

I agree with you. Commercially, TRS is a success; musically, it is excellent (though
I like Sensual World better). So, what do they expect more from Kate? Being another
pop product by doing a lot of interviews beyond  her willingness to make, signing
CDs from Tower to Tower, doing a lot of tour, etc.? Take what Kate offers or leave
it!

Kate has been known as a rebel in music industry. A book by Gillian Gaar, "She's
A Rebel: The History of Women in Rock and Roll, enthusiastically discussed Kate's
determination to make decisions affecting her work and her willingness to challenge
decisions which she didn't feel comfortable. You all Kate fans should be proud of her
for that reason alone, except if you've been victimized by all those marketing
stuffs.

Kate formed her own publishing and management companies (Kate Bush Music and
Novercia), with herself as managing director and her family on the board directors
since she was frustrated by interruptions to do promotional work. She's been known
to be insistent about everything, even about her albums' cover arts. She wanted a
complete control over her work, and she got that, and survives. No wonder that she
really takes her time to do her projects, and I think they are worth the times she
spent. At least, I can say that she wants a music of her own, the one that she's
been enjoying composing, without considering what her fans and market will feel
about it.

An article compares marketing of Kate and Tori's albums (I think Chris Williams
posted it). For me, Kate is Kate, Tori is Tori. They both are excellent musicians and
songwriters for different reasons and styles. Don't expect Kate to be as commercial
as Tori in marketing her albums, or the other way around!

Enough said,

Arief Budiwidayanto
	ariefbud@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
	arief@mail.utexas.edu