Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate's SNL appearance

From: pachuta@horta.mmm.com
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 10:32:11 -0500
Subject: Kate's SNL appearance
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@uunet.UU.NET

In the year or so I've been reading this newsgroup I don't recall much
discussion of Kate's 1978 appearance on Saturday Night Live.  The FAQ says
the copy of the show now available has her edited out.  I have a theory as to
why this may be (apologies if by chance this has been covered previously):

[Brief nostalgia session precedes the substantive information].  I was a
sophomore in college at the time of the broadcast, and as always I was
watching SNL with my cohorts in the dorm.  The musical guest that night was
a person I'd never heard of--Kate Bush.  From the instant she appeared, I
was riveted to the TV and knew that here was someone I had to check out.  The
very next day I went to the record store and found "The Kick Inside," and
I've been a devoted fan every since.  As to the show, Kate did "Them Heavy
People" and "The Man With the Child in His Eyes."  She was indeed writhing on
the piano top during "The Man With the Child in His Eyes," as someone
reported here a few months ago.  The thing I remember about these two songs
was that they appeared pre-recorded, as if Kate wasn't really in the New
York studio in front of a live audience.  Perhaps this is the reason she's
edited out of the broadcast--maybe the producers don't have the rights to
these performances.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

As a long-time Kate Bush admirer (which gives me no priority in terms of
taste, I'll admit), I have to add my $0.02 and say that "The Dreaming" is my
favorite Kate album (surprise!), and "Night of the Swallow" is my favorite
Kate song.  I could easily live on a desert island with any one of her first
five studio albums, however.

Steve P.