Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: another (?) Tori rip-off of KaTe?

From: mdc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (Melissa D. Caldwell)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 1994 12:19:03 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: another (?) Tori rip-off of KaTe?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:

>    The _Little Earthquakes_ videos/photos have a number of similarities
> with early Kate videos. These may be coincidences, but I doubt it.
> I don't think Tori is imitating Kate. I think Tori's video director/
> photographer has a pretty good Kate video collection. The most obvious
> direct lift is in the "Crucify" video, Tori and her doppleganger's
> side-to-side hip shift an obvious homage to the "Strange Phenomena"
> video from the _Die Eftling_ (sp?) videos. That and their mutual
> early fondness for footwear verging on fetish items.

I asked Cindy Palmano about these things when I interviewed her
for issue 4 of the Really Deep Thoughts fanzine.  Below are
excerpts from that interview:

RDT:  ... comparisons have been made between the US cover for
Kate Bush's _The Kick Inside_ and the cover photo of Tori for
_Little Earthquakes_....

CP:  I don't know what you're talking about, actually.

RDT:  ...Kate Bush's first album pictured her in a wooden crate.

CP:  Did it?!! I had no idea.

RDT:  When Tori's album came out there was talk among Kate Bush
fans that it might be some sort of reference to Kate.

CP:  There is no such thing as a new idea.  I'll tell you where
the crate came from.  What I make as part of a picture always is
relevant.  It's never there without having a thought process
behind it and around it or explored, because that's the way I
work.  The box wasn't there just because it was a box.  I had
the box made specifically because it was a simplification of the
idea of _Alice In Wonderland_.  Tori was de-scaled, hence the
tiny piano, too.

...I really rate Kate Bush, I think she's great.  I'm sure that
her album cover was good.  Maybe I did see it.  Maybe I have
seen it and maybe it did come up as a subliminal thing.  But who
knows where things come from?  I certainly wasn't consciously
aware of it.

-----
>    You can't copyright a style.

Later in the interview, Cindy explains that Tori and her
stylist, Karen Binns, came up with her "look."  I didn't pursue
that question any further.

After having talked with Cindy about the supposed similarities
to Kate, I am convinced that these similarities were simply
coincidental.

Missy

 Melissa Caldwell                         You want my reply?
 The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)         What was the question?
 mdc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us                   I was looking at the Big Sky