Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Red Shoes: a few questions

From: nicholsn@UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 1994 10:50:02 GMT
Subject: RE: Red Shoes: a few questions
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (USENET News System)

In Article <2lcbhf$kol@agate.berkeley.edu>
barks@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:
>A few questions about The Red Shoes:
>
>SONG OF SOLOMON:  I checked my New Oxford Annotated Bible, and its version
>the passage Kate uses has a significantly different wording, with a
>different interpretation possible.  It says "I am sick *with* love", not
>"I am sick *of* love."  Also:  the Oxford says "Oh that his left hand were
>under my head", also quite different.  Does there exist some Bible
>that has the words as Kate used them, or did she massage the text to
>have a new meaning?
>
>Is there a video for Song of Solomon?  What goes on in it?
Since the Old Testament, or TaNaK, was written in Hebrew and a little Aramaic
there could be widely diverse glosses in English.  I would say that it is
possible that there are some versions that have Kate's wording, but it is
perhaps quite a bit more likely that Kate did 'massage' the text.
>LILY:  more Biblical references.  Is this Kate's most 'religious'
>album to date?  Has anyone offered an analysis of this text, that
>is, an interpretation they'd like to share?
I'm glad you brought this up.  Kate has always seemed to have a strangeoj{
interest in the supernatural, but until present she seems to have had a pretty
tradition view of 'God' and religion (i.e. christian).  This song seems to come
from involvemnt in the occult.  The archangels she's referring to are part of a
high magick ritual.  They are the magickal rulers of each of the four
direction, elements, etc.- all those correspondances.  This ritual may or may
not be performed by people who profess to be christian, but whoever practices
it is definitely involved with the occult.  Here the ritual seems to be an
invocation of a protective circle (even though the traditional performance of
the ritual is in a circle anyway).  What I'm basically getting at is the
question to all of you of what you think of Kate's religious sensibilities.
Considering lines from song such as "Symphony in Blue" and "Oh England My
Lionheart" and then her present interest in the occult and involvement with
people who practice it, how would you describe Kate's spiritual beliefs and
development?