Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: We are of water . . .

From: "Ottis R." <BOYD@unb.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 12:48:47 GMT
Subject: RE: We are of water . . .
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@unb.ca

In article <Pine.3.87.9402161136.A8398-0100000@crl.crl.com> "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com> writes:

>The oldest version I've seen is a prayer to Brigid, the goddess of
>poetry who was christianized as "St. Brigid", and dates from the late
>1300s.  If I can find it in my desk I'll post it -- so many little bits
>of paper with stuff like that on them floating around I can't promise,
>but I may be able to track it down somewhere else.

  Please do post that - because you have me somewhat confused.
Is this phrase "goddess of poetry" something from that prayer? Saint
Bridget of Kildare (a.k.a St. Brigid or St. Bride) was an Irish Holy
woman in the late 400s/early 500s, who is associated with charity
and justice. I haven't seen her associated with poetry (yet).
  The other Saint Bridget (patron of Sweden) was never called Brigid
(but Birgitta);  she  was famous for her holy life and the reform of
holy life in Italy (she was instrumental in the return of the Pope
to Rome from France).  Neither have I seen her associated with
poetry, and since she was still alive in the 1300s, I don't think you
mean her.
        Hoping to have this cleared up ... Ottis R.