Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A Buncha Stuff

From: uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 1994 19:53:00 +0100
Subject: Re: A Buncha Stuff
To: Mike_Jennings@Radius.COM (Mike Jennings)
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Mike wrote:
> First posting here.  It's a bit overwhelming, this... I'm expecting a bunch
> of good Kate Bush discussion, and find all this great stuff on Tori,
> Kristin and Sarah, too... Pretty soon, some of you will find a copy of Bel
> Canto's Shimmering, Warm and Bright, and THEN we'll watch the fun...

You sound like someone who should REALLY check out Happy Rhodes and the
corresponding mailing list Ecto (write to Jessica at
ecto-request@ns1.rutgers.edu).

> I'm very interested in bootlegs, but not live performances or interviews.
> I'd like digital versions of the B-sides, particularly -- many of them are
> among her best songs (Under the Ivy, Burning Bridge, Dreamtime).  The boxed
> set is too damned expensive and difficult to find in the U.S. for those two
> discs...especially when I already _have_ the other 6...

Buy the boxed set. You already have the only one bootleg that contains a
B-side collection (Backsides), and you already made the experience of its
bad quality. If you are lucky you might be able to find the Canadian version
of the boxed set which is quite a bit cheaper than the UK or Japanese versions.

> Unreleased tracks and collaborations are a big item with me as well.  I
> used to have a tape with B-Sides, a duet with P. Gabriel (Roy Harper's
> "Another Day"--some of you also may have heard a stellar perfomance of this
> song by the Cocteau Twins' Liz Frazier with This Mortal Coil), the Do Bears
> duet with Rowan Atkinson, and some other nice stuff.  The tape is gone, and
> I really miss it.  Any suggestions?

The bootleg CD Angels On Earth contains an audio track of the 1979 BBC Christmas
special 'Kate' where the Another Day duet comes from. A video copy of that
is obviously much more desireable. Do Bears, together with a live version of
Breathing, is of course also a video thingy in original. There are official
versions of this on video & CDs, though both very difficult and expensive to
find. Bootlegs of these do exist of course. One CD would be Butterfly Kisses,
another one (with inferior quality) This Woman's Live Work. Both contain
quite a lot of TV appearances and do overlap quite a bit.

> So, once again, the search for more Kate goes on...

Again, check out the official TWW boxed set. It's absolutely worth the price.
You might want to ask for a Dutch person on the list if s/he can find the two
discs separately since a lot of Dutch shops broke the box into it's pieces.
You'll lose the nice box and booklets of course. Or you can try to sell
your other 6 CDs. Oh, and you have to know that, even considering the date
of its release, 4 major songs/versions are missing in the TWW boxed set.

> I also have some equipment to convert PAL VHS to NTSC and back, with
> pleasing results (stereo, too).  'Nuff said.

Do you have something interesting?

> Finally, I didn't catch how to subscribe to the Sarah McLachlan newsgroup
> -- could someone fill me in?  (Christine L.? BTW -- "Fondest Valedictions"
> -- What a great closing!)

Here you go:

     Sarah McLachlan - fumbling-towards-ecstasy

        subscribe: fumbling-towards-ecstasy-request@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au
                   or just fte-request@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au

        post:      fumbling-towards-ecstasy@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au
                   or just fte@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au

Bye,

Uli

P.S.: Need a FAQ?

--
An EMACS missionary is brooding over a problem, obviously puzzled. A VI
disciple comes along, sees his facial expression, and says: "Ctrl-x Ctrl-c ..."