Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Frank Gaffa

From: Mike Mendelson <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 03 Feb 94 15:24:31 EST
Subject: Frank Gaffa
To: <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

>One of the things Zappa tried to do was to compose using "humor
>somethings" to balance other compositional elements, rather like a
>Calder mobile.

Well, with all the Zappa talk, I'd like to ask a question.
I think Uncle Frank was great, but some of the lyrics
are unquestionably offensive.  Look at Sheik Yerbouti,
one of my favorite (and only) Frank possessions.
Every other song talks about bungholes or hairy tits.
Is this attributable to a weird sense of humor, or was
he *trying* to offend people.  I showed some of this
to my girlfriend (she's afraid of snakes so I played
Baby Snakes for her a few times -- just call me a Tori
Fan :-) :-) [oblique drukman reference]) and she
was instantly repulsed.  Was he a sicko and a
genius?  How do ZappaFans (TM) reconcile
these perverse elements?

-mjm