Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: buck@satyr.sylvan.com (Michael Butler)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 06:31 PST
To: rec-music-gaffa@apple.com

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: buck@satyr.sylvan.com (Michael Butler)
Subject: Re: What Kate is listening to
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 14:30:57 GMT

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
>> Cool list, eh? I must admit that I'm surprised that she would choose
>> "Overnite Sensation" as her Zappa pick...that's a good album, but
>> I wonder if she's heard "Hot Rats", "Uncle Meat", or any of Zappa's
>> orchestral works?

Hey, it's just a list of what she's been listening to lately, not her
all-time favorites or anything.

And it was one of his more successful albums, commercially.  I have
this impression that _tRS_ was intended to be accessible.  Hmmmm.

>Frankly, I'm surprised she chose Zappa at all!  Heck, most of his
>stuff is pretty bizarre, not to mention rude (Dyna Mo Hum - or is
>that on Apostrophe - my copy is a double-on-one-disc) - and I
>thought KaTe was such a sweet, innocent thing :->

"Most of his stuff"?  Meaning no offense, but how much of his stuff do
you know?  The only generalization *I* can make about "most of Frank
Zappa's stuff" is that it is _hard to play_. He and the folks he
worked with were capable of incredible discipline when it came to
"putting the eyebrows on" a performance.

"Opaque melodies that would BUG most people," to quote Don Van Vliet.
KTB has been mentioning Zappa and Beefheart for years.  They're both a
lot more *original* than the refried pop sludge that oozes from
commercial radio's sphincters (and that goes for the slime from your
video, too).  ;)  _Trout Mask Replica_ (Beefheart) *still* sounds
like it could have been recorded last week.  There's power in that.

>Well, I enjoy Overnite too, so there!

Good.  What do you think of the "Shut Up 'N' Play Your Guitar" series?

>Cheers

Best,

Michael B

ObKate: I once dreamt that Her KaTeness did a cover of Beefheart's
_My China Pig_.  It was _**wonderful**_!!!

"I'm in touch with my feelings. I just don't _rub_ them." buck@satyr.sylvan.com