Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lots o Stuff

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 19:58:44 GMT
Subject: Re: Lots o Stuff
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <9401300602.AAwbau03547@relay1.UU.NET>
CS6347@ACSPR1.acs.brockport.edu writes:

>   Before I forget I would like to forward a possible interpretation of
>   Song of Solomon, A friend of mine said to me that he heard some people
>   talking about the song as if it was directed toward Kate fan(atics):
>   Is this talking about you?
>   "Don't want your bullshit, yeah
>   Just want your sexuality
>   Don't want your excuses. yeah
>   Write me your poetry in motion
>   Write it just for me, yeah
>   And sign it with a kiss"

Well, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, I guess.  So, I
might as well tell you my opinion.  My opinion is that you are
completely wrong on this one.  These lines have nothing to do with
fans.  The words are being sung to a lover and to put it in plain
terms are saying, "Stop being a geek and put your dick in me.  Fuck
me, and fuck me good."  I would have thought these lines would be
pretty straight forward.

>  The symbol that Prince is now named does now stand for a name - rather
>  it is indeed the shape of the key to heaven being talked about in these
>  songs

I suppose a symbol can mean many things, but have you overlooked the
most obvious symbolism?  You haven't mentioned it at all.  The symbol
is a combination of the symbols for male and female.  Thus the symbol
is a symbol of androgyny or bisexuality.

By the way, Kate used the key as a strong symbol long before any overt
Prince influence.  On *The Dreaming*, every song has locks or keys as
a subtext.  The front and back covers of *The Dreaming* make a key the
most important thing.

|>oug
   <nessus@mit.edu>

"With a kiss I'd pass the key"