Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori Amos Stuff

From: smith drt <p0070421@cs3.oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 94 14:21:15 GMT
Subject: Tori Amos Stuff
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Apologies if people already know this stuff but I was looking through
my copy of Melody Maker and I caught sight of Tori Amos's tour dates here
in the UK. Iv'e listed them below as well as a reivew of her new single
'Cornflake Girl'.

Tour Dates
----------

Feb 24th Newcastle Upon Tyne Theatre
Feb 25th Warwick Arts Centre
Feb 27th Glasgow Pavillion
Feb 28th Edinburgh Queens Hall
Mar 1st  Manchester Free Trade Hall
Mar 3rd  Leeds City Varieties Music Hall
Mar 4th  Cambridge Corn Exchange
Mar 6th  London Her Majestys Theatre
Mar 7th  Bristol Colston Hall

TORI AMOS
Cornflake Girl (east west)

Staying on the breakfast theme (N.B The review listed before this one was
a review for Straeetband's single calles 'Toast' - Streetband contained a
certain Mr Paul Young.) "Cornflake Girl" is a seductively mordant piano
and guitar dual that resolves itself only when everything stops and Tori
does that really scary Kate Bush-like squeal on the chorus. Don't know what
the devil she means about this "cornflake girl" that's "hanging around with
the rasins", but then anyome who recognisis the rich metaphorical possibilites
that lie inherent in the language of food is just dandy by me. The Chopin-esque
classical noodlings on the flipside aren't as poncy as you might think either.

Going back to the tour dates I'm seriously considering going to the London
gig, if there are any fellow Gaffans out there in the Oxford/London area
that are thinking of going then please get in touch with me as there is
nothing more boring than going to a gig by yourself. Incidentally I've only
been into Tori for the last couple of months (mainly through seeing various
references to her in Love-Hounds) and I think Little Earthquakes definitely
compares with KaTe's stuff.

David

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~OXFORD BROOKES UNIVERSITY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kathy, I'm lost," I said, though | David RT Smith
she was sleeping. I'm empty and   | Oxford Brookes University
aching and I don't know why.      | Computer Services             0
                                  | Gypsy Lane                   - -
                                  | Headington                    |<
Ashes to ashes, funk to funky     | Oxford, OX3 7BP
We know Major Tom's a junky       |
Strung out in heavens high        | p0070421@brookes.ac.uk
Hitting an all time low.          | drtsmith@brookes.ac.uk
 ~+-~+-~+-~+-~+-~+-All we ever wanted was a great big hug.~+-~+-~+-~+-~+-~+-