Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-54 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Lily" and religious references

From: jzitt@bga.com (Joe Zitt)
Date: 23 Dec 1993 14:31:14 -0600
Subject: Re: "Lily" and religious references
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <G2DC1A0A323DEC199313193782*@mhs>, jk3@tntvax.ntrs.com
writes:

>Just to add some more stew to this pot, according to my Jewish prayer book,
>"Ha-Siddur Ha-Shalem" also known as the Birnbaul Siddur, the Night Prayer has a
>section that reads:
>
>                      ....may Michael be at my right hand
>                      and Gabriel at My left
>                      before me Uriel
>                      behind me Raphael
>                      and above my head the divine presence
>

>Looks to me as if Kate transposed the positions of Gabriel and Uriel. My prayer
>book gives no clue as to the orogin of this line, and all I know is that
>Michael et al. are angels. I have to believe that somehow this must relate to
>something regarding the ancient Jewish tradition...but not much else.

The Artscroll "Siddur Ahavat Shalom" has this note:

	God's angels surround you at his command: Michael, performing his
	unique miracles; Gabriel, the emissary of his almighty power;
	Uriel, who bears the light of God before you; Raphael, who
	brings you healing from him. Above your head is the Presence of
	God Himself.

Joshua Trachtenburg's "Jewish Magic and Superstition: A Study in Folk
Religion" describes an amulet with the inscription:

	Khasdiel to my right, Hasdiel to my left, Rachmiel at my head,
	angels, let me find favor and grace before all men, great and
	small, and before all of whom I have need, in the name of Yah
	Yah Yah Yau Yau Yau Tsevaot. Amen Amen Amen Selah."

... but that probably only confuses things further B-).
--
Joe Zitt		jzitt@wixer.bga.com 	  Finger for PGP key
Metatron Press / Human Systems Performance Group / Too Many Projects