Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-53 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A good, wacky excuse

From: jorn@MCS.COM (Jorn Barger)
Date: 18 Dec 1993 00:39:16 -0600
Subject: A good, wacky excuse
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Now that everybody's got just cause to do an about-face on paranormal
phenomena, let me offer Chris this paranormal excuse for his 'electric-
chair-worthy' behavior:

The intensity of the assault was so great I suspect even Chris was
surprised at himself.  (Notice this, people: *nobody* but nobody
wanted to be the one to tell him 'stop'.)  At the time, I was openly
in conflict with an *incredibly* powerful, intimidating guy-- Roger
Schank, the AI researcher, who'd be quite capable of that level of
sustained 'psychic violence', at least in the 'psychic-equals-
psychological' sense.

My view of paranormal phenomena is broad enough to allow that in some
***extremely-difficult-to-imagine*** way, Chris may have been 'tuning
in' to Schank's fury, without even realizing it...

I find that with concepts like this, it's usually possible to find a
close *familiar* analogue-- in this case, think of how people's
reaction to you is hugely related to the view of yourself you
'project' into/onto them.  Parallel-ly, I was in some sense 'carrying
around' an awareness of a vast threatening force, and may somehow have
actually *abetted* its being 'projected into' Chris...

(Andy, protect me... :^)
(I'm only taking the risk of saying this because it offers Chris a
safer 'out'...)