Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-52 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Intergalactic Struggle

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 93 02:32 CST
Subject: Re: The Intergalactic Struggle
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <NESSUS.93Dec12211012@twitch.mit.edu> you write:
>> From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
>> Subject: Re: IGG Alert! (was Re: KATE Alert!/TORI Alert!)
>
>> Every contact that *I've* had, and several contacts that friends have
>> had, have been uniformly negative.
>
>Maybe you and your friends, Chris, just have a personality conflict
>with Allen.  Not all people can get along with each other.  Perhaps
>you and your friends are too sensitive.  Perhaps if Allen says the
>true statement that a many Kate Bush fans are weird, you get all bent
>out of shape and start insulting Allen.  Maybe if I hear this, I
>reply, "Yeah, isn't it great!"  Maybe for reasons something like this,
>or maybe for different reasons, you and Allen just don't get along.
>On the other hand, none of this justifies your constant unfounded
>attacks against someone I *know* to be a pretty reasonable guy.
>
>> he pressured John Reimers to give him a copy of the unedited "Night
>> Flight" interview, calling him names on the front page of his
>> mailing list.
>
>Many people were quite upset at John Reimers, not just Allen.  Are you
>going to persecute them too?

   Here's the story...John Reimers struck up a friendship with Cynthia
Freedland, the producer of "Night Flight" and Cynthia sent him her
3/4" "window dub" of the unedited interview. John also had built a
relationship with John Carder Bush. We asked John Reimers for a copy
of the tape, and he (for some inexplicable reason) asked John Bush
if it would be OK. John Bush gave a typical Bush reply " We would
prefer that you didn't." John Reimers went along with John Bush's
wishes, even though John Bush really had no say in the matter.
We never got a copy of the tape until we proved to him that copies
were already out there from other sources. Annoying? Yes. Worth
vilification by someone who wanted it to sell? No.

>> He told another close friend, who called about another artist and
>> started chatting, that Kate Bush fans were suckers who would pay
>> practically any price for stuff.
>
>Many Kate Bush fans *are* suckers.  If stating the truth is a crime,
>you're going to have to lock up lots of people.  Allen's price's
>aren't out of line with the market.  He's not making himself wealthy
>with this business.  Perhaps Allen feels that the market is too
>inflated and that this is bad for him as well as the fans.

   Allan's prices *define* the market.

>> Your positive impression of him is due to your experience with him,
>> colored by the slack that one is likely to give someone that you have
>> met in person.
>
>I knew Allen before I ever met him in person.  My possitive impression
>of him has to do with never having had any negative dealings with
>him--only positive ones.  I don't consider it a bad thing to give
>someone some slack.  You might try it yourself sometime.  It'll make
>you feel better.

   I've never met George Bush or Ronald Reagan, and I have fairly strong
opinions about both. I have judged each on their actions.

>> I have never met AB or spoken to him on the phone.  I base my
>> impression of him on his actions.
>
>Mighty quick to judge someone you have never met or spoken to, aren't
>you?

   See above.

>> If he is the Kate fan you make him out to be, why has he never
>> posted a single non-commercial word to gaffa (other than one
>> response to a flame)?
>
>I don't see him as the kind of fan who obsesses over minutiae the way
>that we do, but neither is my girlfriend, and she's definitely a Kate

   What?! He spends every day dealing with Kate Krap.

>Bush fan.  Her favorite artist is Kate, and she was willing to drive
>more than two hundred miles to meet her for thirty seconds.  On the
>other hand, she has never posted, nor even read Love-Hounds.  She even
>said after standing on line for several hours, "Kate's fans are
>weird."  Kate Bush herself told me that her fans are weird, obsessing
>over little details.  Allen may be kind of like this, and he may think
>that Kate's biggest fans are rather obsessive, but this does not mean
>he does not love her music.
>
>Your problem Chris is that you think that someone who does not think
>exactly like you must think the opposite.  The world is not so black
>and white.

   I haven't claimed that Allen thinks the opposite of me. I have
simply presented my reasons for why I think that he's a slimeball.
Everyone is free to judge for themselves. I will post them again
when I feel that it is necessary, and I will probably feel that it
is necessary the next time he posts one of his nasty little lists.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)