Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-52 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lily

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 22:49:04 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Lily
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

Robert Henderson (robh@cyberspace.org) wrote:
>                ...  A while ago, I was planning on posting a detailed
> description of the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram, with
> annotations as to what each part meant, and the magic(k)al symbolism
> in the other parts of the song "Lily".  "Sure," I thought, "everyone will
> be interested in this sort of thing, getting a new insight into the
> song, etc."
>
> I decided against it.  Why?  Because everyone on the newsgroup/list
> was copping an attitude about the whole thing.  "Oh no, Kate doesn't
> really believe that bullsh*t, and if you do, you're an idiot."  Or words
> to that effect.  Okay, not everyone on the list, but enough people.

Post it!  I, for one, would definitely be interested in it--as would several
others who asked about it when the topic first came up.  The only proviso I
would suggest is that from the comments of those who have seen the film,
details about traditional forms of the ceremony may be even more relevant to
understanding the dramatization of "Lily" in the film, and its apparently
pivotal role there.  So it might be worth waiting until the film has been
seen more widely.

Sure, there's the hazard that a topic like this, which tends to smoke out
'attitudes' on several sides, could lead to some noisy debate.  I wasn't here
at the time, but I understand that the discussion of Wilhelm Reich that set
in around 1986 because of the role of Peter Reich's  A Book of Dreams  in
"Cloudbusting" had its raucous, even rancorous phases.  So?  I say it's to
Kate's credit that she deals with themes about which people have deeply
committed attitudes.

In a related post, kirke (smc@gandalf.rutgers.edu) wrote:
> If you want detailed info on the pentagram ritual as well as an analysis of
> the differences between the Golden Dawn ritual and Kate'version of it jump
> on to alt.magick where it has been the subject of a detailed scrutiny by
> ceremonial magicians who are familiar with the ritual.  You can also look
> in alt.pagan.  The discussion is generally quite good and accessable to
> non-magicians.

The reason that this isn't the answer for the curiosity of myself and others
is that I and many others here (IED among them) do not have access to Usenet,
but read the group through subscription to the Internet love-hounds digest.

                                                            Peter Manchester
       "Eat the Music!"                        pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                    72020.366@compuserve.com