Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-51 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

McLachlan show in Ottawa, a Review

From: ag869@Freenet.carleton.ca (Rick Pali)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 02:29:01 GMT
Subject: McLachlan show in Ottawa, a Review
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@freenet.carleton.ca

Sarah McLachlan performed at the Ottawa Congress Centre last night, as I
write this, and I was there. Tickets were $24 and the seating was
reserved. I very much prefer reserved seating even though I don't usually
get very good seats. This was an exception to that rule though. Seating
was around tables and we were one table away from the stage, dead centre.
I've never had seats so good.

Ginger opened the show. Having never heard of Ginger, I was surprised to
find that the Grapes of Wrath had disbanded and that Ginger was the band
that 3/4 of the Grapes of Wrath then formed. One thing that was very
impressive was that most of the band members seemed to know how to play
most of the instruments. After most of the songs they seemed to play
`musical instruments' as opposed to musical chairs... Ginger put a show
that most of the audience enjoyed, but I don't really enjoy their type of
music.

Ginger played a pretty long set for an opening band, in my experience. The
crew (which both Ginger and McLachlan share) were very quick in tearing
down Ginger's setup and erecting McLachlan's equipment. This was nice.

Sarah came out and started the show with Possession, the first single from
Fumbling Towards Ecstasy. She wore a black silk top with gold designs on
it with a pair of what looked like black wool pants. Based on what we see
in music videos, this is unusual attire for a female musical artist. No
spandex or tight tiny dresses or anything remotely like that. Good for her
I say. She came out to sing and share her music, not to prove something. I
had never seen her perform live but was impressed but the feeling and
emotion she puts into her performance. In an interview I read, McLachlan
said that performing is "a total high. It's an amazing, amazing feeling"
and one can see that in her performance.

After the opening number, Sarah explained that this was the band's last
show on their Canadian tour and there were quite a few practical jokes
going on. She assured us, almost laughing, that she had nothing to do with
any of it. For this reason I had no choice to assume she didn't plan David
Kershaw's spontaneous keyboard segue into a dance/disco song during one of
the encores. I did notice that Sarah did enjoy the opportunity to dance
around the stage to his accompaniment though. Based on her reaction, I
have no difficulty believing that she wasn't responsible for her band
mates attire when they came out for the second, and final, encore. With
one exception, the men came out wearing only their underwear. She asked
us, "what am I supposed to do to top that?" while looking at her band. She
took it in stride and finished the set with her scantily clad compatriots
while the crew gaffer-taped Ashwin Sood's (drummer) and David Kershaw's
legs to their stools. David seemed to get the worst of it as they even
taped him down to the stool around the waist.

A change was that Sarah played electric guitar for some of the tracks. She
explained that in previous tours she played only acoustic and introduced
us to her electric guitar asking, "Isn't she beautiful?" Continuing, she
also told us that the headstock of the guitar reminded her of her parents'
kitchen table because it was white with little metallic flecks in it. The
table, she explained, where her mom never served Kraft Dinner. She had to
eat at friends' to get that.

They played most of the songs from the new album as well as a wide
selection of tracks from the first two albums. One thing I really liked
was the perfect balance they struck between exactly reproducing the studio
recordings and improvising beyond recognition. One song that stands out in
this regard was the rocking make-over they did on the end of Vox.

The way the ended the last song, which was Fumbling Towards Ecstasy if I'm
not mistaken, was very nice. After the song would've normally finished,
the band went off into instrumental improvisation while Sarah waved
goodbye to us and left the stage. Each band member took the spotlight for
a moment with a solo and waved goodbye following Sarah off-stage. When
only the two taped guys were left, the crew was kind enough to cut their
legs free and let them exit as well. David still was stuck to the chair
because of the tape around his waist so he walked off with the stool still
stuck to his behind.

The band members were all very proficient with their instruments and
pulled off a great show. They got right into the music they were making
just as much as their leader did. I especially enjoyed the bass, but I
play a bit myself so I'm biased. I have to make a special mention of
Camille Henderson who was Sarah's backup vocalist. She did a wonderful job
of complimenting and enriching Sarah's vocals. I would've liked to hear
more of her, but what I did hear I really liked. The mixing wasn't bad
except for a few instances where an instrument would dominate all others,
including the vocals, when I don't think it should've. The bass was
occasionally muddy but I expect that was more the room than the mixing or EQ.

One thing that was very nice to see that Sarah and the band really enjoyed
what they were doing. There were many times that the band members caught
each others' eye and a smile was exchanged. I've never been to a show
where this was so clear from the audience's point of view. They seemed to
enjoy performing for us and having us there to watch.

If you can make a date on the US leg of the tour beginning in February,
I'd heartily recommend you make the effort to go. If they swing back this
way again, I'll be there. This was one of the best concerts I've seen in a
long long time.

PGP public key available upon request...