Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

the red shoes again

From: woj@remus.rutgers.edu (the horizon you run to)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 19:39:45 EST
Subject: the red shoes again
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

comments on everyone's comments...

henrik@husc.harvard.edu sez:
>Second point: "Song of Solomon" is totally *EXCELLENT*.

perhaps the most impressive thing about this song is the sampled harp
sound. i was convinced that they had hired andreas wollenweider (or
some such harpist) to play on that track the first time i heard it.
perhaps this ties in with your comments about the engineering too: the
crystalline sample is gorgeous.

kiess@ira.uka.de (Heiko Kiessling) sez:
>What I like about Kate is that she never gets stuck, artisticly speaking.

this begs the question of evolution/development versus just changing gears.

rico@dehn.math.nwu.edu (Rico Tudor) sez:
>	If you like
>	ethnic music, say Linda Ronstadt "Canciones de mi Padre" or one
>	of David Byrne's South American forays, you'll like Kate's way.

linda ronstadt? david bryne? ethnic?

>Big Stripey Lie (C)
>	NK's violin lends a feel reminiscent of Anna Palm "Arriving and
>	Caught Up".  Commendably strange, but that's not enough -- it
>	doesn't gel.

there's lots of little bits here and there that show an attention to detail,
but as you say, it doesn't gel. i still think it sounds like a splattered
canvas rather than a completed work, despite all the tiny bits that are
buried in the mix (like the wave sounds near the end).

_O_ woj@remus.rutgers.edu            /\             co-ed naked usenet