Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rant and Ramble

From: dfleenor@nettech.com (super dave?)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 10:25:01 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Rant and Ramble
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I saw the video for Rubberband Girl last night on eMpTV, and I thought it was
a lot better than the ETM video. I love the song (even though it's not what I
am used to as far as Kate is concerned), and the video was pretty good for a
"promo" video. I was kinda hoping to see the original, but I knew there was
about a 99.9% chance that eMpTV USA wouldn't show it. Anyway, Kate looked like
she was having lots of fun, like in the Rocketman video.

To tell you the truth, I prefer the old Kate (or younger Kate, you know what
I mean). Her voice just doesn't sound like it did on her first three albums,
or maybe she just doesn't sing "like that" anymore (i.e. Blow Away, Moving,
etc.). Just not as clear, or something. I can't quite put my finger on it. Of
course, this is coming a guy whose favorite songs are Moving and Symphony in
Blue.

And what is the deal with The Dreaming? This used to be my least favorite
album. However, after listening to it repeatedly, I have acquired a taste for
it. My favorite songs are Suspended in Gaffa and There Goes a Tenner. A lot
of people have posted messages about how you have to listen to The Dreaming
quite a few times before you get used to the different "Kate" sound, and I
never believed them. Just goes to show ya.... (But my favorite is still Never
For Ever).

It's hard to believe it's only been a little over a year since I "really"
discovered Kate (I bought The Whole Story in 1989, but it didn't sink in for
a while). I've seen the videos, the euro TV stuff, listened to the albums,
the early demo recordings, and all the b-sides.

I have found the meaning of life...and it is Kate!

BTW, on 120 minutes they said The Red Shoes was #9 on the college radio chart.
How can this be? I have yet to see a copy anywhere.