Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Akiko Yano

From: Ken Latta <klatta@merit.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1993 10:49:53 -0400
Subject: Akiko Yano
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

 >Akiko Yano sang back-up on Thomas Dolby's album, "She Blinded Me with Science",
 >as well as many other performers albums as well.
 >
 >So she is now going solo?  What is the name of the album?  I am
 >curious about how it sounds and who worked with her on it.
 >

> The name of the album is called "Lovelife" and from what I heard it sounded
> really interesting and something I would probably like to check out further.

I picked up this cd a few days ago and have really fallen in love
with it. Her voice is similar in range to Kates (including the
occasional excursion into the upper registers). Do be warned, most
of the songs are in Japanese. This wasn't a problem for me, but some
people don't like to buy vocals that they can't understand. I am
learning Japanese and found her clean enunciation very approachable.
If anything I was disappointed that they only had the lyrics in
translation into English (anybody know where the originals can be
obtained?).

Her songs have a Zen-like simplicity in that she paints an "image"
in brief sentances. She comes across as a very beautiful spirit,
the type of personality I could fall as deeply in love with (though
Kate has prior claim).

Ken Latta
Merit Network, Inc.
NSFNET Project: Internet Engineering Group
klatta@merit.edu 313-926-2115 313-747-3745 fax