Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TRS review in Nov. "Musician"

From: UK04160@ukpr.uky.edu
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 93 12:34:20 EST
Subject: TRS review in Nov. "Musician"
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@uunet.UU.NET

The November issue of "Musician" has a short review of THE RED SHOES.
The article features a small photo of the cover, but no matrix
numbers or other such info. Here's the transcription:

        If you've pegged Kate Bush as a dreamy cosmic spirit, don't
miss the climax of THE RED SHOES, where the stunning "You're the One"
renews the tradition of brazenly pitiful love songs. Though this torchy
ballad features some of her most powerful singing, not to mention
vintage Jeff Beck, who contributes the sort of passionate lead
work rarely found on his own records anymore, all pales next to
Bush's gut-wrenching sign-off, a strangled shriek of pain that might
prompt calls to 911.
        The rest of this fevered meditation on the meaning of it all
isn't as wonderfully raw or direct, but desperate impulses abound.
Exploring the terrain of the heart in her hyperdramatic way, Bush
argues that romance is all we have, even if life stinks ("And So
Is Love"), so there's no reason to hold back ("Eat the Music"), that
being true to your emotions provides the one sure defense against
the darkness ("Lily"), so don't be scared ("Constellation of the
Heart"); and follow those desires ("Big Stripey Lie") even if they
lead to perdition ("The Red Shoes").
        Between the theatrical arrangements and aggressively intimate
vocals, Bush has clearly labored to do justice to the soul's storms.
Mostly, she succeeds. "The Song of Solomon" finds Bush imitating a
crazed angel, shrilly singing, "Don't want your bullshit/Just want your
sexuality" in a memorable collision of the carnal and holy. Just when
preciousness threatens to overflow, she tests a more conventional
alternative that validates her wacky extremism: "Why Should I Love
You?", a funky little rocker, featuring heavy Prince involvement.
It's fun and catchy, but it's not Kate Bush.
        Thus, let us hail this woman who stops at nothing in pursuit of
inner truths, even to point of imitating the sound of a stretching
rubberband in "Rubberband Girl." And, above all, unleashes that
dreadful howl at the end of "You're the One". Awesome!

                                                -Jon Young

Since reviews are popping up now in US magazines, I guess we can
assume the November release date is accurate. Be on the lookout
for promo copies of the album at record shows/used CD shops!

Paul M. Ramey                           Email: uk04160@ukpr.uky.edu
                                          or : uk04160@ukcc.uky.edu

                "Music is an addiction" Miles Davis