Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

VOX Review Of TRS

From: smith drt <p0070421@cs3.oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 93 12:46:47 BST
Subject: VOX Review Of TRS
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I know that the VOX review of the new KaTe album has already being mentioned
but here it is typed out in full.

The review appeared below a picture of KaTe from the 'This Woman's Work'
single.
(APOLOGIES IF SOMEONE HAS ALREADY BEATEN TO THIS). I'll try and type in
the interview as well.

SHAKE YOUR BOOTIES

KATE BUSH The Red Shoes (EMI EMD 1047)

Think of the most unlikely pop collaborators you can imagine. Now
double them. Forget it, because Ms Bush got there before you: Lenny
Henry, Prince, Eric Clapton, the Trio Bulgarka, Nigel Kennedy, Jeff
Beck... wot no Michael Gorbachev then?  Four years after 'The Sensual
World', Kate's musical vision is reassuringly bonkers and ambitious
as ever.  Why else record a concept album loosely based around
Michael Powell's classic 1948 ballett movie of the same name?

This mad-scientist approach has consistently staved off the mid-life
crisis afflicting so many of her contemporaries, but this time Kate
dances dangerously close to the tranquil cul-de-sac inhabited by
Peter Gabriel and Annie Lennox. Indeed, mid-tempo session-funk like
'Rubberband Girl' or 'Constellation Of The Heart' are rigid and
sterile enough not to sit happily on recent Gabriel albums, only
saved by odd flashes of that distinctively flinty, heart stopping
warble.

While previous outings harnessed studio technology to Kate's maverick
whims, much of 'The Red Shoes' sounds imprisoned by it. Most engaging
and sparse piano-and-string ballads like 'You're The One', a lovelorn
blow-out, with a desperate edge. Earthly synthetic calypso 'Eat The
Music' suggests splitting men open like a pomegranates, the
beautifully breathy confessional 'Why Should I Love You' finds Lenny
Henry mimicking co-author Prince, while the stomping title track
bashes out a jarring cousin of Bowie's 'Jean Jeanie' riff, but any
Grand Plan is conspicuously absent. Considering Kate may just be our
last remaining pop genius, 'The Red Shoes' ultimately adds up to less
than the sum of its unorthodox parts. (7 out of 10).

"Kathy, I'm lost," I said, though | David RT Smith
she was sleeping. I'm empty and   | Oxford Brookes University
aching and I don't know why.      | Computer Services
                                  | Gypsy Lane
S + G                             | Headington
                                  | Oxford, OX3 0BP
SNAFU                             | 0865 443323
Systems Normal All Fu**ed Up      |