Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Pete, Sinead, and "Don't Give Up"

From: jchokey@leland.Stanford.EDU (James Alexander Chokey)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 93 20:23:12 GMT
Subject: Pete, Sinead, and "Don't Give Up"
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@leland.Stanford.EDU (Mr News)

	One of Peter Gabriel's two concerts in Oaklannd from his solo tour
this summer had postponed as the result of an illness back in July.  The
concert took place last night, three days after the WOMAD show in San
Francisco.  I think those who had to wait got it made up to them because
he played  with a lot of other musicians from Womad, including Sinead O'Connor
and a wonderful violinist singer named Shandar (sp. ?). Sheila Chandar
and a number of other folks also joined him on his closing numbers.  The
song selection seemed to be a mixture of what he did at his earlier show
and the Womad show.

	Anyway, I (and many other folks) were quite delighted when, as part
of the second encore, he did "Don't Give Up" with Sinead singing the part
that Kate Bush sang on the studio version.  Although the rendition was
wonderful, Sinead's voice seemed to fall short of the richness that Kate
Bush achieved on the album.  Part of it, I think, stemmed from microphone-
related/mixing problems.  Her vocal parts weren't loud enough for most of
the evening.  But, her voice also seemed a little tinny for "Don't Give Up".
I was a bit surprised by this, as I've often thought that if any other
singer could do justice to Kate Bush's vocals in that song, it would be
Sinead.

	--  Jim C. <jchokey@leland.stanford.edu>