Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Del Bashing

From: gaffa@mind.ORG (Valerie Nozick)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 93 12:50:48 -0400
Subject: Del Bashing
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

A previous posting of mine received a lot of bashing (the description of
why Del is not credited on EtM, and why EtM is so repetitive). A response
is long overdue, so here it is:

My intention was not to hurt KaTe during her time of pain, or to make a
nasty comment about their relationship. What I posted was meant in a
humorous way, and I didn't expect people to take it so seriously. This
was a _joke_, folks! It is a fact that I have never cared for Del's
abilities in the studio - that I cannot deny. But their relationship is a
separate entity, one which none of us has a right to comment on unless we
know them both personally. If I made any suggestion as to their
relationship, rather than to Del's ability in the studio, then I am truly
sorry.

As I mentioned in a different post, I may be writing negative things
about EtM, but I still think it is better than 90% of the stuff out
there. It just isn't up to par when you look at KaTe's other music. This
does not mean that KaTe is on a downhill course. I cannot listen to
'Moments of pleasure' without crying, because it captures the sense of
loss that I know KaTe feels over her mother, and that I have felt not
that long ago with the loss of my father. My heart has gone out to KaTe
over her losses of the past year, and I am glad to see that she is
turning to something which has given her comfort for so many years to
express those feelings, rather than keeping them inside and letting them
fester. One of the things that has made KaTe special to me is the
intimacy of so mmany of her songs. Her songs make you _feel_ and become
involved, rather than just something to play as background music.

The fact that EtM didn't do any of this, did not make me joyful as some
of her other playful music has done, and did not make me feel anything
but disappointment, is what is wrong with the song. Perhaps the song just
doesn't relate much to my life, or I just don't get it, but it is too
repetitious for my taste. If writing this song made KaTe happy, then it
has served its entire purpose. Whether we like it on love-hounds does not
matter, since she is one of the few artists writing music for herself
rather than to make money. I respect this in KaTe, and love her for it.

==> Valerie

--
mind.org     404/659-5720     Public Access Usenet in Atlanta