Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

grab bag of new kate talk

From: Jon Drukman <jdrukman@us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 93 11:31:47 PDT
Subject: grab bag of new kate talk
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

woj says:
>>It isn't even 'alternative' sounding, so the radio stations that could have
>>payed attention won't, and they will have a good reason.
>um, since when has KaTe been "alternative"? ;)

i note the smiley but wonder what the point of that statement is...
like it or not, Kate is definitely an "alternative music" staple in
the States.  college radio, "commercial alternatives" like Live 105
(SF) and WFNX (boston) are the only radio stations to pick up on her,
so far.  although if marketed properly, there's no reason she couldn't
break the Top 40 with the new stuff.

>>on the other hand `big stripy lie' is really quite excellent... i hope
>>the album is full of tracks like *that* one.
>uh, i wasn't too impressed by this track either. it sounds decidedly unfin-
>ished and weird for weirdness' sake. i agree that it had potential, but
>it is far from realized.

argh!  this is one of the best tracks she's done since The Dreaming.
absolutely no question.  listen to it again, at full volume, really
closely.  there's so much more in there than you might think at first
blush.  unfinished?  i say NO!

and now, on to pete hartman:
>Correct me if I'm wrong:  RBG is a UK single from the new album,
>whereas Eat the Music (which I *have* seen and heard) is the US
>single?

right.

>If not, what is Rubber Band Girl, and where might I find it?

i got my copy at Reckless Records in San Francisco.

neil calton writes:
>Rubberband Girl Remix - unlike a lot of others on this list I actually
>like this a great deal. IMHO it is much better than the standard mix
>in all ways - instrumentally and vocally. At least it sounds like Kate
>we know rather than the single mix which could almost be anyone.

well, i'm not wild about the track in any form, but the 12" version is
certainly better than the original.  same thing goes for Eat The Music
- the "single versions" of both are just too repetitive and busy.  the
12" versions allow the instrumentation room to breathe.
unfortunately, in the case of EtM, this requires extending a
negligible song over 9 minutes, which is not a very good idea...

>Big Stripey Lie - now this is the real thing. This is worthy to be compared
>with anything off The Dreaming. Vibrant, wierd and exciting. If there are
>more gems like this on the album then it will be brilliant. I had to play the
>7" as well as the CD to make sure that ending really was meant to sound like
>that and it was not just my copy!

thank god someone else agrees with me.  definitely comparable to TD in
every sense, lyrical & musical.  the ending fits perfectly - notice
the tiny little percussion fill ending the musical phrase?

------
so, yes, i did pick up the Rubberband Girl CD single and i am
distinctly underwhelmed by RBG, although it is a marked improvement
over EtM.

Jon Drukman                                         jdrukman%dlsun87@oracle.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.