Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RBG First Proper Impressions

From: GTP10@phx.cam.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 93 16:53:04 BST
Subject: RBG First Proper Impressions
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I'm just back from a week in the USA and have been rushing around
trying to catch up. I picked up the CD Single and 12" Picture Disc
of "Rubberband Girl" (plus the new Capercaillie CD) at lunch time.
RBG sounds pretty good on the CD. Not a classic KaTe song but
certainly a good choice as the first single (as evidenced by the
fact that it has gone straight into the UK charts at #12 or #14
- the jet lag is beginning to strike!). The RBG remix is nothing
to write home about but BSL is one cool song. The picture disc
is pretty cool too. It is of a still from the video. It looks
like the same one that appears cropped on the CD single.

The very prominent bass sound on RBG sounds almost like someone
playing a rubber band. I wonder...

I listened to ETM a couple of times in stores in the US and
decided not to waste my money. It is *so* boring. The album
version is two minutes too long. The nine minute remix is
torture. If/when ETM is released as a single in the UK, it
had better have one or two non-album non-remix tracks on it,
or it will achieve the distinction of being the first KaTe
single ever I have not bought in at least one format.

Geoff Parks