Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Master Spake

From: Mike Mendelson <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 01 Sep 93 15:30:25 EDT
Subject: The Master Spake
To: <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

|>Path of Thorns EP (Radio version, album version, shelter - violin
|>mix). $20
|>
|>Drawn To The Rhythm EP (Album version, Gloomy Sunday (live), DTTR
|>(acoustic)). $20
|
|hmm...I bought Steaming in Buffalo for around 6 dollars and have seen
|the others around in the major record chains here for around the same
|price.

I similarly bought Path of Thorns for less than half of this asking
price.

|     If Tori listened to Kate, she was influenced by her.  I think every
|musician is always influenced in one way or another by any music they
hear.
|It could be "avoid that music at all cost" or "gosh, I really like that
|stuff."  Either way, it will have an effect, miniscule or major.

I like to think of this the way Brian Eno described it in the
interview he gave for the From Brussels With Love CD (which
I think is a Crepuscule sampler and which I highly recommend
to all love-hounds if you can find it buy it).  To roughly
paraphrase, he says 95% of anything that someone writes musically
is stuff that has already been done, i.e. there is never very
much *NEW* in any musical creation.  What is *interesting* is
what the author of the composition chooses to include and
to leave out.

-mjm