Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Really Deep Thoughts

From: Les <WADD@VM1.YorkU.CA>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 93 18:37:07 EDT
Subject: Really Deep Thoughts
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Ok....since eveyone is listing their favourite recording artists....here are
mine in order. 1) Kate Bush, 2)Tori Amos, 3) Happy Rhodes, 4) Prince, 5) David
Bowie, 6) Gary Numan, 7) Various Movie Soundtracks, 8) The Beatles, 9) Duran
Duran, 10)Luba......etcetc.   #1 hasn't changed for some 14 years....and it   i
is rare for a new group to break past #9.  :)

Ok....on with the discussion.  Vickiresponds to Ken, "Then again, Happy's upper
range is a near-dead-ringer for Kate's, so this example isn't a good one"

Why isn't it?  This is your opinion...a view shared by many....and not share by
many.  I think Happy's voice (upper range) is close...but not a "near dead ring
er."

Ken states (harshly), "I'll say that anyone who denies the hints and breezes of
similarities is deluding themselves and is ignoring Tori's art."

OUCH...a bit rough.  I see a hint and a breeze.....several...but this is being
kinda mean!  Some people may honestly not see any similaritie.

Vicki replies, "I hear no hints and breezes of similarity between Tori's voice
and Kate's voice except that I love the voices of both artists."(repeated with
"music" and "lyrics" sustituted in for "voice".)  "I love Kate and I love
Tori.  I'm not deluding myself and I'm not ignoring Tori's art."

Well...Vicki...I agree.  I love Kate and Tori and Happy too...but I do see some
similarities between them.  You in fact see moreof a similarity between Happy's
high range and Kate's voice than I do!Hurrah for differing opinionsthrough
comparisons!  I won't accuse you (or anyone else) of being sexist just because
you think Happy's voice is "a near dead-ringe" for Kate's.  This wasn't aimed
at you in particular Vicki...I'm just making a point.  :)