Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

You called, Ken?

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 93 1:56:49 EDT
Subject: You called, Ken?
To: kate.;@pilot.njin.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Peter Gabriel..Tori Amos..

Vickie here.
I'm not going to get deeply involved in this thread (which I find
pretty amusing) but my name was conjured up and so here I am.

K R Brownfield (Hi Ken!) writes:

> What comes immediately to my mind is that female vocalists seem to
> be much more popular than male vocalists.

In which alternate universe? (Besides gaffa & Ecto, I mean)

> Especially in Europe, where the female vocalist & "etherial" guitar
> bands are getting a lot of talk.

I'm curious, does this "talk" you speak of translate into solid sales
and *equal* airplay on the radio?

> If I say that Happy Rhodes' upper range is a near-dead-ringer
> for Kate's, is that an insult because I can't think of a single
> bloody singer that's similar to Black Francis?

No, of course not. Then again, Happy's upper range *is* a near-dead-
ringer for Kate's, so this example isn't a good one.

> Now, before my argument sinks too deep into anyone's head, I realize
> that _many_ readers of gaffa think that Kate is _the_ bees' knees,
> Goddess, et.al..  While there is the extreme tendency to hail Kate
> over all else, strongly doubt that anyone here owns, likes, or favors
> NO other female vocalists.  Vickie has at _least_ Happy Rhodes and
> Victoria Williams.

And Jane Siberry, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan and many, many more.
Kate *is* God though. Always and forever. Amen :-)

> ...Kate/Tori comparison. They are similar in some ways, different in
> many others.  In explaining the style of Tori, how could the mention of
> Kate Bush, an admitted major influence on Tori's style, be insulting?

Who "admitted" that Kate's a major influence on Tori's style? Not Tori.
She likes Kate, but hasn't really been influenced all that much by her.

> Besides the fact that the comparison is helpful for an explanation,
> the similarity is quite obvious.

Very obvious. They're both 4I. (Intelligent, Interesting, Innovative
and Independent).

> Tori is similar to Kate.  This gives me a bloody ROUGH idea of how she
> sings.  And owning her album, I'll say that anyone who denies the
> hints and breezes of similarity is deluding themselves and ignoring
> Tori's art.

No Ken, I hear no hints and breezes of similarity between Tori's music
and Kate's music, except that I love the music of both artists.

I hear no hints and breezes of similarity between Tori's voice and Kate's
voice, except that I love the voices of both artists.

I hear no hints and breezes of similarity between Tori's lyrics and Kate's
lyrics, except that I find them all interesting.

I love Kate, and I love Tori.

I'm not deluding myself and I'm not ignoring Tori's art.

Vickie