Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

\Re: Surely not Kate of all people?

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 93 16:44 CDT
Subject: \Re: Surely not Kate of all people?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

>Recently, I was surprised to hear Uli (?) admonish Kate for smoking.  Was that
>facetious, or does she really smoke?  I thought, with her amazingly clear and
>striking vocal quality, that there would be no way she could smoke.

   Yep. The most recent information we have is that she smokes a brand
called "Silk Cut" (before that she smoked John Player Specials.)
The amazing power of peer pressure on the young and impressionable...

>Could someone set me straight on this bit o' KaTrivia?
>
>Disturbed and shaken,

   Understandably. I think I can say that we all wish she would stop,
but they are her lungs and her body. The "...with your spit upon lip.."
part of _Houdini_ was created by Kate drinking milk and smoking a large
number of cigarettes, so it's fair to say she is *aware* of of eventual
effects of prolonged smoking on the voice (to say nothing of the
probability of cancer.)

   If you want to hear what Kate will eventually sound like if she
doesn't quit, compare early Joni Mitchell to her most recent album.
Joni smokes like a New York taxicab.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)