Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Grab-Bag o' Topics

From: Mary_C._Tabasko@transarc.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1993 10:53:12 -0400
Subject: Grab-Bag o' Topics
To: rec-music-gaffa@cis.ohio-state.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Well, it's been ages since I've posted, but I've been lurking. However,
many interesting topics have come up....

**** LOVE-HOUNDS T-SHIRT ***

Yes! Yes! Count me in!!! Pleeeeeeeease!
j@remus.rutgers.edu (proud to be your spud) writes:
> my personal preference for the text on the back is:
>
>                                 suspended in
>                               rec.music.gaffa
>
>                               it is this that
>                             brings us together

I think this is just about perfect.

**** "EAT THE MUSIC" US RELEASE DATA ****

chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) informs us:
> This maxi-cassette and CD-5 contain the album version of _Eat The Music_,
> as well as the 12" version. _Big Stripey Lie_ can also be found on the
> up coming album. The special treat here is Kate's version of the classic
> Elton John song _Candle In The Wind_. This track has never before been
> released in America.

Is that true? I bought it on a 45, where it appeared as the B-side of
Kate's version of "Rocket Man." (I never cared for "Rocket Man," even
by Kate, but I did want to hear her do "Candle in the Wind.") The reason
I ask is that there was no indication that this was an import or anything
special. I *do* like her version of "Candle," very much.

**** DON'T GIVE UP ****

All the recent talk about the Peter Gabriel/Kate Bush and Willie Nelson/
Sinead O'Connor versions of "Don't Give "Up" has reminded me of my favorite
example of Kate singing backup for another artist or group. I absolutely
love the Big Country song "The Seer," featuring You-Know-Who. I'm sure
it's not new to the Love-Hounds, but in case these captured Kate-notes
have escaped anyone....

The first time I listened to it, I was paying more attention to the lyrics.
I didn't realize I had unwittingly picked up a recording with Kate on it,
and didn't notice Kate until near the end, where she does some of her
distinctive Kate wailing. That made me sit up; I did *not* expect to
hear Kate Bush on a Big Country record. When I listened to the song
again, I was listening for her, and I really liked the way the song
was put together. Kate sang what, I guess, you would normally term
"backup," but it wasn't the usual background. I'll describe it as, her
voice shadows the main lyric line. She isn't so much singing the lyrics
as whispering or chanting them. I still find it an eerie effect.

I'm afraid I just couldn't take the Willie Nelson/Sinead O'Connor
version of "Don't Give Up." It really grated on my nerves, but just
about anything involving Willie Nelson does. (I'm not impugning any
one else's taste. I just can't abide him.) I did like the work
Sinead did accompanying Christie Moore on "The Mad Lady and Me."
I think that song really suits her voice, and I liked the contrast
between Moore's voice and hers.

**** "THE HAPPY WORKERS ****

Cool song (from a cool movie). I'd love to find it somewhere, but I
didn't see any indication that there was a soundtrack album released
for _Toys_. Any one know anything about it?

Ciao for now!
  Kate (keeper of the litterboxes)