Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate vs. Tori

From: johnz@eaglet.rain.com (Irgendwo in der Tiefe)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1993 04:22:39 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate vs. Tori
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:

>>	* Does Tori listen to / like Kate?  If, somehow, Tori doesn't
>>	    even LISTEN to Kate, how, then, could she be a ripoff?

>    Kate has repeatedly stated that she listens to very little pop music
>at all, especially when she is working on an album. I actually doubt
>that she has even heard Tori.

[stuff deleted]

>    I don't believe Tori herself has any intention of mimicing Kate
>in any way. Some of Tori's handlers have obviously taken some cues
>from Kate's marketing and videos, but I don't believe Tori had much
>to do with that.

Exactly.  Tori has been quoted as saying that people were comparing her
to Kate more than 10 years ago, when she was still performing in bars
and had yet to hear any of Kate's music.  She has remedied that lack :)
since, and apparently thinks quite highly of Kate's work while trying to
avoid the degree of familiarity which might lead to inadvertent mimicry
or plagiarism.

>    It's simply that some people have some mighty small pidgon holes
>to stick a large variety of female performers into.

Amen!  Or, in Tori's own words:

"I think that the women [in music] get compared more than the men do, I
think that is a fair take, that's just honest.  I've said this before, and
I really mean this, when you get a few women out there singing they go,
what is it, too many tits or something?  They have to start comparing them
all and I think that we're...individual.  There might be moments, but just
because you play a similar instrument, it's not like there are too many to
choose from."
                    -- MTV Special

John Zimmer
johnz@eaglet.rain.com