Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate on the Radio (UK)

From: news%BBN@uunet.UU.NET
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 93 17:35:53 EDT
Subject: Re: Kate on the Radio (UK)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Sender: news%BBN@uunet.UU.NET

From: shetline@bbn.com (Kerry Shetline)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 16 Aug 1993 21:35:52 GMT

In article <9308161837.aa14063@APG-9.APG-9.APG.ARMY.MIL>,
kstauff@APG-9.APG.ARMY.MIL (Kimberly Stauffer AMSTE-LGS 4900) wrote:
> So, I assume the UK gets demos first???  Does that mean that the demo is
> somewhere here in the US also or do we usually get things light years later?

Kerry's pet peeves, #348: "Light years" are a unit of DISTANCE! Not TIME!
You don't wait light years for anything! AAAAARRRGGGHHH!

OK. I'll calm down now...

A light year is the distance traveled by light in one year, or about 9.5
million million million kilometers. (I woulda said 'quadrillion', but a
British quadrillion is much bigger than an American one. Too confusing.)

The usual habitat of this particular pet peeve is bad sci-fi. Imagine my
horror at finding it creeping outside that genre into the quiet, safe haven
of gaffa land.

-Kerry