Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Commercial???

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 93 21:22:51 EDT
Subject: Re: Commercial???
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

rjc@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk (Richard Caley) writes:

>METH@delphi.com hangs suspended in duct tape and worries:
>> "Kate Bush's most commercial and accessible album to date."
>> :(
>> I'm going to run far, far away.  Anybody wanna come with me?

No.

>Er, with the exception of bits of The Dreaming and The Ninth Wave,
>KaTe has _always_ been commercial and acessable.
>Beautiful songs, wonderfully sung. Commercial, accessible and each a
>perfect gem.

I agree. Many of Kate's songs *have* been hits outside the USA, and many
more could have been hits (anywhere) if radio programmers and listeners
had been up to the task. "Commercial" and "accessible" are mere words,
and can mean anything to anybody, in whatever mindset they happen to be
in at the time. Personally, I thought that "ExpIV" & "Be Kind To My
Mistakes" were commercial and accessible and could/should have been
massive hits all over the world for weeks and weeks and weeks. I was
wrong. "Wuthering Heights" strikes me as one of the *least* commercial
and accessible songs ever recorded and look how well that did (outside
America) so who knows...and what does it matter anyway? I'll like the
album on its own terms, for itself, and Kate's standings in the charts
or squid's eyes, or fellow gaffians', won't make a bit of difference to
me.

Vickie